1. Valentine’s Day. No one ever tires of love and romance! Well, maybe you’re tired of it by now, but even if you’re on a sugar high or seeing pink even when you close your eyes, remember that many people out there, maybe most people, haven’t even started thinking about what to do for their true love on Valentine’s Day. In fact, a whole half of this month will be dedicated to the holiday of hearts and flowers! So grab a bag of conversation hearts, pick one, and write a sweet lens about it. Just don’t eat the whole bag.
2. Patriotism and presidents. Think Lincoln, Washington, and the official President’s Day holiday, coming up on the 18th. Think Black History month, Rosa Parks’ birthday on the 4th, and American History month. What unique, new approach can you put on the red, white, and blue? Or, if you’re from north of the border, share your favorite Canadian National Flag Day events (February 15th). Whichever colors you choose, strive for something unique for your lens.
3. It’s National Cherry month – and national Snack Food month. Why not combine the two by creating a healthy cherry snack and making a recipe lens about it? Make it useful to moms and other grown-ups who really want to be more healthy during (how could anyone forget?) American Heart month.
4. Did you know that Charles Dickens and Laura Ingalls Wilder share a birthday (February 7th)? How about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (born on the 27th)? Tie these literary figures together or make a series of lenses to celebrate your favorite books or poems.
5. Feel like partying? Chinese New Year and Mardi Gras are two huge celebrations and great lens topics. Narrow them down to a super-niche before you start your lens.
If none of these suggestions has inspired you, here’s a whole page of February events. Surely there’s something there that will make your heart skip a beat. Whether your goal is a lens a day, one a week, or just one outstanding lens this month, now’s a good time to brainstorm some ideas and put those February lensmaking goals in writing.
Have an extra-special February event that you want to share? We’d love to read your idea in a comment below.